In this program, you will be a part of a close-knit community in the small town in Rural Croatia at the foot of the mountain Velebit, and join a bear sanctuary. The goal of the association is to protect the environment and offer a sanctuary for bears who suffered maltreatment or were left in the wild without mothers when they were too young to be on their own.
The association is focused on maintaining and promoting the traditional way of life and culture of Kuterevo, according to the welfare of the village community. To be an active member means to adopt the way of life of people who live and work there and learn about their culture and language. Learning the Croatian language while volunteering will be one of the most important conditions to successfully integrate into that community, and you can involve yourself in a language course in Split before leaving for Kuterevo. It is essential that you are flexible, curious, open-minded, and respectful of all people and animals.
You will perform a wide range of daily activities such as maintaining the forest and surrounding environment, ensuring the wellbeing of all animals at the center, and supporting the visitor center’s needs. The volunteer work consists of simple handiwork and if you have never used some tools before, there are people who will teach you. Once you understand the association well, you will be able to take daily visitors around the large enclosures, explaining and educating them on the history and heritage, and the importance of bear conservation.
To get the most authentic experience, you will be accommodated in a traditional local house together with other volunteers. The facilities are rudimentary and simple, including an ecological dry toilet with sawdust compost. You will also be responsible for cooking your meals, cleaning the houses, and other daily tasks together with the other volunteers. Apart from the bear shelter, there is a workhouse for Shetland-ponies, info point for visitors, volunteer solitary station, and mystic place.
This project is focused on bear conservation but also on the village heritage preservation.
4 weeks 2059€
Following Weeks – 370€
- – Accommodation at a dormitory in a local hostel
- – Three meals a day while in Split: breakfast, lunch, and dinner (Local style. Vegetarian, gluten-free, and meals for lactose-intolerant are also available upon request.)
- – Meals in the sanctuary but you will have to cook for yourself
- – Pick-up at the airport (On the weekend before your start date) – Sunday
On Sunday, the ImpacTrip team will be at the airport waiting for you with a big sign and a smile on their face! 🙂If you arrive prior to Sunday, you will still be able to receive an airport pickup and our team can transport you to the accommodation, but you will need to pay an extra fee for this service.We will reach out to you by WhatsApp a few days before your start date to connect 🙂
- – Transport between Split and the project in Kuterevo
- – Guided city tour and the best tips to discover the city
- – Allocation and coordination of a work placement in a local non-profit project;
- – Materials for the volunteer activities
- – Introduction on the first day of volunteering
– Ongoing support throughout the stay
– 24h/7 emergency support by phone or personally
Extra: We can also include an intensive 2 weeks Croatian language course
- Pick-up at the airport on other dates
- Transport between Kuterevo and Split
- Drop-off at the airport
- Personal expenses