You will be working directly with local non profits that are creating ethically made fashion apparel only from sustainable textiles and materials.
Greece, as most European countries is home to many fast fashion companies.
It’s well known that the fashion and textile industry is one of the world’s most polluting industries, mainly because its volume of production dwarfs most other industries. As if that is not enough, the most garment production has shifted to developing countries, mainly in Asia, in search of cheaper labor, increasing the rates of exploitation of underage children and unhuman working conditions.
Efforts have been made from many well-known brands to start sustainable collections with recycled fabrics, also to share the employee stories and to start donating or upcycling their clothes.
Upcycled fashion takes the clothes that would otherwise be thrown away and reinvents them. The whole principle behind upcycling clothing is to take used garments and create new looks. As a result, clothing is given a new look, and new life, rather than adding to waste in a landfill. A case that has been showcased by luxury brands that refuse to donate or donate their old collections because the do not wish middle-income groups to have access to their brand.
By engaging in this program, the volunteers will be working directly with local non profits that are creating ethically made fashion apparel only from sustainable textiles and materials, offering ethical employment to refugees and survivors of human trafficking and collecting excess clothing, sorting, disinfecting and distributing them to solidarity organization.
Your role will include general tasks:
Do the selection of clothes and fabrics in the factory,
Communication and social media support in content creation and filmmaking.
Coordination support in fashion school workshops
First 4 weeks 2059€
following weeks 370€
On the day of your arrival the ImpacTrip team will be at the airport waiting for you with a big sign and a smile on their face! 🙂
– Pick up at the international airport in Athens & public transportation transfer to the accommodation on Sunday!
– Accommodation in a dormitory at a youth hostel located in the heart of Athens, female dormitory or mixed dormitory with private bathroom shared with the rest of the people in your room. The hostel offers a bar area and sitting area, a communal kitchen for those that want to cook and also rooms with balconies to relax and a rooftop with the most amazing views of Acropolis.
– We will provide 3 Meals a day – Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner at the hostel. The menu consists of local food, a mixture of meat, fish and fresh vegetables made in “Greek style”.
– Orientation event on arrival including an introduction to Greek culture, volunteer experience, overview of programs, practical information, safety guidelines!
– Guided city tour & the best tips to discover the city!
– Allocation and coordination of a work placement in an impactful non-profit project!
– Introduction on the first day of volunteering!
– Ongoing support throughout the stay!
– 24h/7 emergency support!
- Pick-up at the airport on other dates
- Drop-off at the airport
- Towels are not included in the room
- Personal expenses
- Personal insurance (health or accidents)
More about this program
More about this program
Am I provided with insurance during my stay?
Your program fee includes civil liability insurance with limited coverage, that only covers accidents that may happen during your volunteering shift.
We highly recommend you to get full health, travel and accidents insurance in your home country!
Are the meals included in my volunteer program fee?
In all our destinations, the volunteer program fees include three (breakfast, lunch and dinner) home-made and delicious meals a day!
In Mafra (where the Wolf Conservation program is located), the volunteer program fees do not include meals, but you will have access to a fully-equipped kitchen to prepare your own meals at either location!
Find more detailed program and location-specific information in our program description and pricing details! And if you have any more specific questions or want to make any special requests, feel free to get in touch with us!
Can I change the dates of my volunteer placement with ImpacTrip?
Yes, that is generally possible! In most cases, we are quite flexible with making changes to your original booking period as per your wish, as we know how challenging it can be to plan such a big trip far in advance. However, please keep in mind that all of our programs are subject to availability, and therefore, we might not be able to accommodate last-minute changes anymore. Therefore, we recommend that you early on try to organize your plans concretely and get in touch with us as quickly as possible if alterations become necessary so that we are left with a higher chance of managing to change your reservation to cater your new situation!
Can I volunteer along with a friend of family member of mine?
Yes, of course you can! We regularly receive little groups of friends or family that come to participate in our programs together.
Do I need to book my stay well in advance?
No, not necessarily! Depending on the current availability of the program of your choice, we may even be able to accommodate your stay and participation for the upcoming week! However, both in our responsible travel experiences and our volunteer programs as well as regarding our available beds in the hostel, we do sometimes reach our full capacity and therefore recommend booking your stay with us as early as possible to secure your spot!
Do I have to pay money for volunteering?
You are not paying for your volunteer work itself but for your stay with us overall! The costs for your program further include various elements that are part of your stay here! Respective to your program, those elements can, for example, include your accommodation, food, transportation from and to the airport, insurance, guided tours, professional guides, supervisors or instructors, placement coordination and 24/7 support!
Please have a look at the pricing details of your program to find an accurate overview of all aspects included in each program and location.
Do I need to speak the local language?
No, you don't need to have any previous skills in the local language! All of our programs are run entirely in English and our guides and staff are all comfortable speaking English as well! But we always encourage our participants to get acquainted with some of the most basic terms and expressions, as even just a simple "Good morning!" in the local language can be a great icebreaker to start interacting with the locals!
There are also language lessons available for volunteers. The language lessons can be booked before or on the arrival. Lessons are taught by a professional teacher and tailored to each volunteer’s current language level.
How and when do I need to pay for my volunteer program with ImpacTrip?
You can pay us through Paypal or bank transfer. We will kindly ask you to pay 50% of your bill at the time of your booking to secure your spot! The other 50% will be due at least one month before your arrival!
What do I need to pack for my trip?
Are you already excited about your stay with us? We prepared a little list of essentials which can assist you with your packing:
- Basics (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner…)
- Medication contact lenses, glasses
- Clothes according to the local weather and the project you applied for
- Plug adapters and power converters
- Unlocked mobile phone – we will give you a Portuguese SIM card that you can charge according to your needs
- Laptop, tablet or smartphone so you have access to Wi-Fi almost everywhere
- Camera (if you want to capture all the unforgettable moments.)
What is ImpacTrip's Cancellation and Refund Policy?
Impactrip deposit fees are designed to be as affordable as possible to allow everyone to join our programs. Therefore, considering its limited capacity and the expectations of everyone involved, ImpacTrip is unable to provide a total refund policy.
The payment of the deposit fees confirms a volunteer’s acceptance onto one of ImpacTrip's volunteer programs. Deposit fees are not transferable to other people but may be transferable to another program.
The deposit fee is refundable until sixty days before the start date of the volunteer’s chosen program. Requests for deposit fee refunds must be made via an email to your ImpacTrip Booking Manager, clearly detailing the reasons for cancellation.
Cancellations are subject to the following policies:
- The notice period is based on the earliest start date the volunteer has ever been registered for.
- If a volunteer cancels sixty days or more before their earliest program start date, they can request a refund of the deposit fee, which will be provided minus the transaction costs of the refund. Alternatively, they may ask for a deposit fee credit to be held in their name for future use on any ImpacTrip program, subject to availability, for a period of twelve months from their earliest registered start date. This credit may be issued minus the value of any change fees the volunteer has incurred.
- If a volunteer cancels between fifty-nine and thirty days before their program’s start date, no refund of the deposit fee is available. A deposit fee credit may be held in their name for a period of twelve months from their earliest registered start date, for future use on another ImpacTrip program, subject to program availability and at the discretion of the Impactrip Booking Manager.
- If a volunteer cancels less than thirty days before their programs start date, no refund of any fees is available. A deposit fee credit may be held in their name for twelve months from their earliest registered start date, subject to availability, provided deposit fees have been paid in full by their due date.
Where a group of ten or more people is volunteering with ImpacTrip, the group leader must register ahead of other group members in order to secure the group’s dates and plans. Group members must then register no less than sixty days before the program starts. Group members who register less than sixty days before the program start date may be excluded from the program unless approved by ImpacTrip.
ImpacTrip reserves the right to revise its program fees at any time. All program fees revisions will be made via the ImpacTrip website. Program fee revisions are not applicable to volunteers who have already submitted their payment before the revisions are due to take effect. A volunteer’s placement on a program is not confirmed until the deposit fee has been paid in full and the availability has been confirmed by their ImpacTrip Booking Manager.
What is the minimum and maximum volunteer duration?
In general, you can choose any duration between a minimum of 1 week and a maximum of 12 weeks for your stay with us, depending on your personal plans and availability!
The exception in Portugal is the Wolf Conservation program in Mafra, which is only available for a duration of either 2 weeks or 4 weeks.
Exceptions is Barcelona and Split are the Special Needs Support and Youth Support programs that have a minimum duration of 2 weeks. And the Teaching program that have a minimum duration of 3 weeks in Split and 4 weeks in Barcelona.
The Marine Conservation program in every location is available for any period between a minimum of 1 week and a maximum of 4 weeks.
When can I start my volunteer period?
We welcome new volunteers twice a month every month of the year. Your arrival date should be the Sunday before an Introduction Day!
- We have Introduction Days on the first and third Monday of the month in Portugal and Croatia.
- We have Introduction Days on the second and forth Monday of the month in Spain.
Please be aware that:
- the Marine Conservation program in every destination is only available between March and October every year.
- the Wolf Conservation program in Mafra, Portugal is only available between February and November every year and have specific arrival dates.
Take a look at the experience description of the program of your choice to find some more detailed information. Also, please keep in mind that all of our programs are always subject to availability as the number of spots is limited!
Will I have time for some sight-seeing as well?
Of course! We want you to really get to know your natural and cultural surroundings and will provide you with useful tips and tricks that will help you discover the location of your stay like a local!
Your shifts will generally last between 3 and 5 hours per day and will take place either in the morning, in the afternoon or in the evening, which will leave you with plenty of free time to go explore, take a stroll around your surroundings, catch the most important sites, interact with the locals or simply go and relax! And of course, you will have your weekends off as well!