In this program, you will join a non-profit rescue centre that focuses on treating injured and sick hedgehogs, always with the goal of releasing them back into nature whenever it's possible.
Hedgehogs are easily recognizable and can be the sweetest wild animal we can find. However, pollution, habitat loss, road casualties and lack of food are threatening these animals. There has been a considerable decline of the European Hedgehog population in recent years. Considering all these problems, the goal of many wildlife conservation institutions is to contribute to the increase of the hedgehog population and to ensure that these fascinating creatures are around for many years to come.
In this program, you will join a non-profit rescue centre that focuses on treating injured and sick hedgehogs, always with the goal of releasing them back into nature whenever it’s possible. This rehabilitation centre is 100% volunteer-based and it’s the only one in the country exclusively dedicated to the rescue and conservation of this species.
Your tasks are to support the centre staff by helping to clean the hedgehog’s cages and enclosures, feeding the hedgehogs, contributing to awareness initiatives, participating in the animals’ release events in the wild and supporting clinical procedures such as wound cleaning, medications, coprologies, among others.
- 1st week: 849€
- following weeks: 275€
– Pick up at the international airport in Porto & transfer to the accommodation (On the Saturday or Sunday prior to an Introduction Day);
– Accommodation at a dormitory at a center-located hostel;
– Three meals a day everyday: Breakfast, lunch and dinner (Local style. Vegetarian, gluten-free and meals for lactose-intolerant are also available upon request);
– Shared use of common spaces and free WIFI;
– Orientation event on arrival (including an introduction to Portugal and its culture, volunteer experience, an overview of programs, practical information, safety guidelines);
– Guided city tour and the best tips to discover the city;
– Allocation and coordination of a work placement in a local non-profit project;
– Introduction on the first day of volunteering;
– Ongoing support throughout the stay;
– 24h/7 emergency support by phone or personally;
– Limited coverage civil liability insurance.
- Pick-up at the airport in other dates
- Drop-off at the airport
- Transport between accommodation and volunteer project location
- Personal expenses