The fashion sector is nowadays the second most polluting sectors in the world. Tons of clothes are thrown away in good condition every day, so why not give them a new life?
Volunteers in this program will join a non-profit which aims to promote upcycling at the same time as providing training to people in situations of long-term unemployment. They do this through their social business that repairs and transforms clothes. The non-profit does this by promoting circular design and the reduction of textile waste, selling exclusive clothes with the collaboration of different designers, and creating awareness of conscious consumption.
In this program, the tasks are built around designing and modeling clothes models, giving support for their production, creating communication campaigns and sales platforms, sorting and organizing clothes donations, among other tasks that promote upcycling and sustainable fashion.
- Two first weeks 1154€
following weeks 330€
following weeks 330€
– Pick up at the international airport in Lisbon & transfer to the accommodation
– Accommodation at a dormitory at an impactful hostel, female dormitory, or mixed dormitory
– Three meals a day everyday: Breakfast, lunch, and dinner (Local style. Vegetarian, gluten-free and meals for lactose-intolerant are also available upon request)
– Shared use of common room, outdoor area, garden, and free WIFI
– Orientation event on arrival (including an introduction to Portugal and its culture, volunteer experience,
overview of programs, practical information, safety guidelines)
– SIM card
– Guided city tour
– The best tips to discover the city!
– Allocation and coordination of a work placement in an impactful non-profit project
– Introduction on the first day of volunteering
– Ongoing support throughout the stay
– 24h/7 emergency support
– Limited coverage civil liability insurance.
- Pick-up at the airport in other dates
- Drop-off at the airport
- Transport between accommodation and volunteer project location
- Personal expenses
How is a typical day in this volunteer program?
10:00 am – 13:30 pm | (1) Travel to project to join local placement staff and begin work on your volunteer project or (2) Explore the city, relax, or enroll other activities if you have an afternoon project.
02:30 pm – 07:30 pm | (1) Travel to project to join local placement staff and begin work on your volunteer project or (2) Explore the city, relax, or enroll other activities if you have a morning project
08:00 pm – 10:00 pm | After dinner, you will have the remainder of the evening free to relax and use as you wish.
Are the meals included in my volunteer program fee?
In all our destinations, the volunteer program fees include three (breakfast, lunch and dinner) home-made and delicious meals a day!
In Mafra (where the Wolf Conservation program is located), the volunteer program fees do not include meals, but you will have access to a fully-equipped kitchen to prepare your own meals at either location!
Find more detailed program and location-specific information in our program description and pricing details! And if you have any more specific questions or want to make any special requests, feel free to get in touch with us!
Do I have to pay money for volunteering?
You are not paying for your volunteer work itself but for your stay with us overall! The costs for your program further include various elements that are part of your stay here! Respective to your program, those elements can, for example, include your accommodation, food, transportation from and to the airport, insurance, guided tours, professional guides, supervisors or instructors, placement coordination and 24/7 support!
Please have a look at the pricing details of your program to find an accurate overview of all aspects included in each program and location.
Does this program require a high level of physical fitness?
No! All activities within this program only require a medium or low level of physical fitness!
Shall I bring special clothes to participate in this volunteer program?
There is no mandatory dress code for taking part in this program, so we just recommend you to bring comfortable clothes adjusted to the time of the year!
What do I need to pack for my trip?
Are you already excited about your stay with us? We prepared a little list of essentials which can assist you with your packing:
- Basics (toothbrush, toothpaste, shampoo, conditioner…)
- Medication contact lenses, glasses
- Clothes according to the local weather and the project you applied for
- Plug adapters and power converters
- Unlocked mobile phone – we will give you a Portuguese SIM card that you can charge according to your needs
- Laptop, tablet or smartphone so you have access to Wi-Fi almost everywhere
- Camera (if you want to capture all the unforgettable moments.)
What is the accommodation like? Could I stay in a private room?
Your accommodation differs depending on the location and programs you decide for! What we can assure you is that we want to make your stay with us as comfortable as possible! In most cases, you will stay along with the other participants in dormitory-style rooms. Private rooms may be available at your accommodation as well for an extra cost.
Find more detailed program- and location-specific information in our experience description, itinerary and pricing details! And if you have any more specific questions or want to make any special requests, feel free to get in touch with us!
What is the minimum age to participate in this program? 18
The minimum age to participate in this program is 18 years!
Will I have time for some sight-seeing as well?
Of course! We want you to really get to know your natural and cultural surroundings and will provide you with useful tips and tricks that will help you discover the location of your stay like a local!
Your shifts will generally last between 3 and 5 hours per day and will take place either in the morning, in the afternoon or in the evening, which will leave you with plenty of free time to go explore, take a stroll around your surroundings, catch the most important sites, interact with the locals or simply go and relax! And of course, you will have your weekends off as well!